Arthur Graham

Age: 77 years, 9 months, 12 days


DOB: September 20, 1913
Beecher, Will County, IL, USA

DOD: July 2, 1991
Oak Forest, Cook County, IL, USA


Son of William S. and Ida (Leising) Graham

Brother to: Ruth E. (William C. Konow), Chester L., Lloyd E. (Gladys A. Erdman), William H. (Arlene Hopkins) and Martin Graham

Husband of Charlene Marilyn Saller, married November, 1945.
Father to: Susan Kay (Ronald L. Clausing), Charles Arthur (Susan G. unknown), Nancy (Jack Fenske) Graham.

November 22, 1945          “POPULAR COUPLE WED IN CHICAGO”

Graham-Saller Wed 1945

November 17, 1945

Miss Charlene Saller, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Herbert Saller, and Mr. Arthur Graham, son of W.S. Graham, were united in marriage, Saturday afternoon, in a ceremony performed by Dr. Williamson, former pastor at Chicago Heights and of the Beecher Community Church, at the residence of the pastor in Chicago.
The bride was attired in gray with black accessories and carried a bouquet of mums and pom poms. The couple were attended by Miss Shirley Cooper, roommate of the bride, and Mr. Richard Hiatt.
Mr. Graham operates the Graham Service Station on the Dixie Highway, and his bride, a former student at the U. of Illinois, is at present employed in Chicago.


Graham Town Collector 1947The Town Board met, Monday morning, and appointed Arthur Graham to fill the unexpired term of Mrs. Gertrude (Hack) Haltenhoff as Town Collector.
Graham will serve until the election in 1949. Actually he will make the collections, if the books are available for the next three years.
Mrs. Haltenhoff resigned when she moved to Chicago, last summer.


Village Trustee Graham, since the discovery of the historic marker, site of the old Hubbard Trail, now known as the Dixie Highway, has in process of preparation an article or perhaps a series of articles touching on this historic trail. This will also include the trail known as the Ox Trail, which was in use long before the survey was run for the present Dixie Highway and which passed through approximately 20 rods west of the present highway. This, on the north side of the village, would be between the residences of Dr. H.H. Hiatt and Wm. Wiggenhauser. It crossed Indiana Street at a point where the present Catalpa Street is located. The trail wound its way through the prairie to Vincennes, Ind.
This article or series will appear in the Herald as soon as sufficient data has been collected. Anyone having any information on this old Hubbard Trail is kindly requested to get in touch with Mr. Graham. He will be glad to receive it and use it if possible.
Graham is also contemplating another project, the complete history of Beecher, which would be a valuable work, and would probably be coveted by many local citizens.

Editor’s note: no historical articles written by Arthur have been found to date

Editor’s note: 1965  Art worked hard for the improvement of the Beecher Community. He donated his personal labor to help install the two tennis courts in 1965 and offered the use of his private family in-ground swimming pool to give the Beecher community’s children swimming lessons. The swimming lessons were taught by his two daughters, Nancy and Sue, along with Yvonne Squire.

Arthur Graham


Art Graham Obit 1991Funeral services were held Saturday at Hack Chapel for Arthur Graham who died July 2, 1991, at Oak Forest Hospital in Oak Forest. The Rev. Kenneth Lueke officiated at the service. Entombment was at Beecher Mausoleum.

Arthur Graham was born Sept. 20, 1913, in Beecher. His parents were Ida (nee Leising) and William Graham. He was the owner operator of Graham Trucking for many years and served as trustee on the village board 20 years.

He is survived by one daughter, Susan Clausing, and one son Charles Graham, both of Beecher, eight grandchildren, and one brother, William Graham of Beecher.

He was preceded in death by his parents; wife, Charlene; daughter, Nancy; three brothers and one sister.

Arthur’s family members also resting in the mausoleum are:

Wife: Charlene (Saller) Graham
Daughter: Nancy (Graham) Fenske
Father & Mother-in-law: Herbert C. Saller & Dorothy (Bahlman) Saller
Wife’s Grandparents: Charles H. Bahlman & Sophia M. (Schweer) Bahlman
Wife’s Great Uncle & Aunt: Henry F. Bahlman & Emma (Wehmhoefer) Bahlman
Wife’s Great Uncle & Aunt: John H. Bahlman & Anna L. (Wehrmann) Bahlman
Wife’s Great Aunt: Lena C. Bahlman
Wife’s Great Uncle: William F. Bahlman
Wife’s cousins 1x removed: Lillian (Bahlman) Wegert & Henry H. Wegert
Wife’s cousins 1x removed: Lora (Bahlman) Hinze & Arthur A. Hinze
Wife’s cousins 1x removed” Marguerite (Toleson) Bahlman & Henry W. Bahlman DDS
Wife’s cousin 1x removed: Carolyn M. Bahlman
Wife’s cousin 1x removed: Donald W. Bahlman
Wife’s cousins 1x removed: Ferne (Bahlman) Hildeman & William R. Hildeman

Other more distant family include: Batterman, Bergmeier, Beseke, Bielfeldt, Bohl, Cloidt, Dunlap, Engleking,  Fick, Freerking, Frobose, Guritz, Hack, Hager, Haltenhof , Heine, Heldt, Hoffman, Hoppensteadt, Horn, Hunte, Kaczynski, Kappe, Kilborn,  Kirchhoff,  Klocksieben, Koch, Langreder, Leder, Maass, Matthias, Mc Carty, Meyer, Monk, Ohlendorf, Pansa, Peters, Pralle, Riley, Ristenpart, Rohe, Rust, Selk, Struve, Thielman, Vagt, Von Engeln, Wehmhoefer, Wiechen, Wilkening,


ARTHUR HACK (800x510)

Age: 59 years, 7 months, 18 days


DOB: June 8, 1896
Beecher, IL USA

DOD: January 26, 1956
Hazelcrest Hospital,
Hazelcrest, IL USA

Son of Frank Gustav Hack and Emma (Katz) Hack.

Arthur’s mother, Emma Katz Hack, married Edward Heller in 1919 after Frank Gustav Hack’s death in 1912. Emma was the step mother of Herman & Elmer Heller.  Herman & Elmer’s mother was Bertha (Ristenpart) Heller who died of the flue epidemic in 1919.

Husband of Ethel E. (Wehmhoefer) Hack, married January 1, 1920.

Father of Geraldine A. Hack (Philip G. Imholz)


Arthur & Ethal MatrimonialArthur Hack and Ethel Wehmhoefer were married Jan. 1, 1920 at St. Luke’s parsonage, Rev. G. Horst officiating.  Mr. and Mrs. George Heiden were sponsors. Following the wedding the couple boarded a train for Chicago.
The wedding was a surprise to all, even the parents of the bride, who were not informed of the event until the newlyweds arrived in Chicago, when they wired back the glad news.
Both bride and groom are well known in Beecher, where they were born and reared. They are popular and Arthur Hack and Ethel Wehmhoeferesteemed young people and their many friends wish them the best there is in their wedded life.
The groom is the son of Mrs. Ed. Ohlendorf of near Goodenow, and the bride the daughter of Mrs. and Mrs. Henry Wehmhoefer of Beecher.
We understand the young couple will make their home in Chicago Heights, where Mr. Hack has employment as city mail carrier.
The Beecher Herald extends congratulations.

Editor’s note:  Arthur’s mother is listed in error; she was Emma (Katz) Hack Heller, not Mrs. Ed Ohlendorf.

[1925]   Arthur Hack took over the general merchandise store of Herman Hack at 734 Indiana Avenue. Mrs. Arthur Hack introduced her line of millinery. Her 1925 fall selection was “exceptionally modish, stylish, and with pleasing combinations, sure to suit the individual tastes of the Beecher Ladies.”

Editor’s note: My grandmother told me she used to buy her penny candy at Arthur’s store.


Arthur Hack Comm. ChestArthur Hack has been named chairman of the local Community Chest drive. This effort to collect contributions for charitable organizations is an annual affair on a nation-wide basis. It provides a single unified opportunity for each individual to contribute to charity and provides a unified effort on the part of organizations which benefit from the collections.

As in the past, a portion of the funds remain at home and the balance is divided among Community Chest agencies or institutions that have been carefully selected and their needs accurately analyzed.

Herman C. Grassle, county auditor, has accepted the position of chairman of the county division of the Joliet-Will County Community Chest campaign to be held, Oct. 16 to Oct. 27th. The local drive will coincide with the county, and Mr. Hack is our representative on Grassle’s committee. A meeting of all township chairmen will be held at 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 9, in the Woodruff Hotel, Joliet, at which campaign supplies will be distributed and instructions given to workers. Shortly after this session, the local organization will be formed.

The county goal this year is $131,700.00.


By Mrs. Arthur Boyens

Arthur Hack St.Luke officer 1-28-1948The annual meeting of St. Luke’s Evangelical and Reformed Church was held Sunday after noon in the church parlors with the vice president Alfred Haseman presiding as chairman. Minutes of the previous meetings were read by Secretary Arthur Hack and the treasurer’s report was read by Howard Paul.

Fred F. Heldt and Frank Hunte were elected elders to succeed Walter F. Boysen and Wilmer Selk. Irving F Stelling was elected secretary to succeed Arthur Hack and Mrs. Irwin Stelling was elected corresponding secretary to succeed Mrs. Arthur Hack.

Fred E. Thomas was re-elected sexton and Mrs. Clara Schultz was re-elected janitor. Mrs. Rose Hunte was named organist. A Committee of three: Howard Paul, Byron Hunte and Wilmer Selk was elected to manage the affairs of St. Luke’s cemetery.

Fred Thoms was elected delegate and Arthur Hack alternate to the annual conference. The date of the annual mission festival was left to the discretion of the pastor. It was announced that the roll of membership numbered 353 including the junior members of which 217 were voting members. Installation of officers will be held in the Sunday morning service.


Arthur Hack death noticeFamily members and fiends of the community were saddened by the passing of Arthur Brands, last Wednesday afternoon, at the home of his sister, here in Beecher, and Arthur Hack, who died early last Thursday morning at Hazelcrest Hospital where he had been confined since returning from a Florida visit. Both Mr. Brands and Mr. Hack had been ill for some time.


Arthur Hack, 59, died last Thursday, January 26, at Hazelcrest Hospital, following a long illness. He had been hospitalized ever since his return from Florida.

Mr. Hack was born in Beecher on June 8, 1896 and lived here practically all his life. Long associated with the business and civic affairs of the community, he operated a general store for thirty years at the corner of Indiana and Woodward Streets. He served the village as clerk for thirteen years and as president for eight years. He was a member of Beecher Lodge 1087, A.F. & A.M.

Surviving are his wife, Ethel; one daughter, Mrs. Geraldine Imholz and husband and two grandchildren.

Funeral services were held, last Sunday, at 2:00 p.m., at the Hack Chapel with Rev. Edwin Otte officiating. Masonic rites were also held. Burial was in the Beecher Mausoleum.


Arthur Hack ObitArthur Johann Heinrich Hack, son of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Hack, was born June 8, 1896. He was baptized on August 23, 1896 by the Rev. Gustav Koch. He was confirmed in the Christian faith in St. Luke’s Church on April 9, 1911 by the Rev. Roth. His confirmation verse was Proverbs 23:26: “My son, give Me Thine Heart, and Let Thine Eyes Observe My Ways.”

He was united in marriage to Miss Ethel Wehmhoefer on January 1, 1920 by the Rev. Gustav Horst. One child, a daughter, Geraldine, came to bless this union.

Mr. Hack spent his entire lifetime, with the exception of two years spent in Crete, in Beecher. He was well-known in this community. He operated a general store for 30 years. He was village clerk for 13 years, and president of the village board for 8 years. He was a member of St. Luke’s Church and served on the Church Council for two terms.

He was in poor health for the past several years. During the past several months his health failed rapidly. In hopes that a warmer climate might be beneficial to his health Mr. and Mrs. Hack went to Florida in December. However, his health continued to decline and on Thursday, January 12 they returned to their home on Hodges Street. On Monday, January 16 he was taken to Hazelcrest Hospital where he passed away quietly on Thursday morning, January 26 at 4:00 a.m. He was 59 years, 7 months, and 18 days of age at the time of his passing.

He is survived by his wife, Ethel, and daughter, Mrs. Geraldine Imholtz of Peotone. He is also survived by his son-in-law, Philip Imholtz and two grandchildren, Pamela and Thomas Imholtz. Two step-brothers, Herman and Elmer Heller, also survive.

Funeral services were held on Sunday, January 29 at the Hack Funeral Home at 2:00 p.m., Rev. Edwin Otte, pastor of St. Luke’s Evangelical and Reformed Church, officiating. Interment was in the Beecher Mausoleum.

Arthur’s family members also resting in the mausoleum are:

Wife: Ethel E. (Wehmhoefer) Hack

Father & Mother-in-law: Henry C. Wehmhoefer & Augusta J. (Wehling) Wehmhoefer

Uncle & Aunt: Herman Hack & Eva F. (Ruge) Hack

Uncle & Aunt: Henry Hack & Mary W. (Bielfeldt) Hack

Uncle & Aunt: Charles J. Hack & Anna (Schroeder, Schmaedeke) Hack

Cousins: Dr. Edmund Hack & Margaretha B. (Schwarz) Hack

Wife’s (Ethel’s) Uncle & Aunt: Edward J. Wehmhoefer & Charlotte (Thiesfeld) Wehmhoefer





Dr. Michael Miley, Olive Miley, Alice Miley

Age: 80 years, 2 months, 4 days

(Swiss spelling: MEULI)

DOB: November 28, 1858
Alma, WI USA

DOD: February 1, 1939
at home, Beecher, IL USA

Son of Theodore and Anna Maria (nee Ruetter) Meuli

Brother to: Mathias, Mary (Christian Wilhelm), Louisa (husband Vollmer) , Christine (Andrew J. Wilhelm), Caroline (Frank A. Masterson) and Julia (Louis Blum) Meuli

Husband to Anna Emeilie (nee Manz), married October 14, 1899.

Alice Olive  Bernice 19XX  Olive is the baby in the center

Alice Olive Bernice 19XX
Olive is the baby in the center





Father to: Alice A, Bernice E. (Albert A. Anderson Jr.) Mary, Milton and Olive M. Miley




 1907-1914  Henry Thielman and Dr. Miley were strong advocates for Hard Roads (gravel roads) and wrote many interesting newspaper articles on the subject. If you would like to read some of their articles, click on the link below.


October 22, 1909 – Beecher Herald

Some Observations Made On a Trip Through the Great Northwest

Dr. Miley's Some obersavations made on a trip through the great northwest

Dr. Miley’s article is a little on the long side, if you would like to read the full article, click on the linkpdf2-1.00 to open a PDF version of the full article


Volumn 2, Published 1928

Michael R. Miley, M.D., of Beecher, is a representative member of the medical profession of Will County and a leading citizen of the community in which he lives. He was born in Wisconsin, Nov. 28, 1858, the son of Theodore and Anna (Ritter) Miley.

Both Theodore Miley and his wife were natives of Switzerland. Their marriage took place at Madison, Wisc., where they had both located early in life. Mr. Miley was a successful farmer until the time of his death, which occurred about 1886. His wife died in 1880. Both are buried at Alma, Wis. Mr. and Mrs. Miley were the parents of seven children, two of whom survive: Michael R., the subject of this sketch; and Julia Blum, who lives at West Palm Beach, Florida.

Valparaiso University

Valparaiso University

Mr. and Mrs. Miley

Dr. M. R. & Anna Miley

Michael R. Miley spent his boyhood in Wisconsin and was educated in the public schools there. He later attended Valparaiso University and in 1896 was graduated from Rush Medical College. He spent a year in private practice in Chicago, and then located at Beecher, in August, 1897.


On Oct. 14, 1899, Dr. Miley was united in marriage with Miss Emily Manz, a native of Wisconsin. They had the following children: Alice, Bernice, and Olive, all at home; and Milton, who died in infancy.

Dr. Mileys house built 1901

Dr. Mileys house built 1901

Dr. Miley is a republican and has served as mayor of Beecher for two terms. He has been a member of the school board for 27 years. He is identified with the Will County Medical Society, and Illinois State Medical Society. He is a member of the Lutheran Church, and is affiliated with A.F. and A.M. No. 1087, Beecher, and Modern Woodmen of America. Dr. Miley is widely known in Beecher and takes an active interest in the social and civic life.




One of my favorite stories is from Howard Paul’s Book : Reflections of our Small Town, published 1995:

Dr. Miley and his 1909 metz runabout
With Alice and Bernice

“The doctor was always interested in any new mode of transportation and when the invention of the automobile was announced, he was one of the first to order a Metz Runabout in 1909.

There were no such firms as garages and so he ordered the 14 separate packages, each costing about $25. Completely constructed automobiles were not available, and so the put-it-together-yourself kits were sold.

Dr. Miley read the instructions carefully and produced his car; however, he missed one important instruction. The chain that propelled the vehicle was installed backwards and, when the doctor started the car, it would only go in reverse.

Fritz Hinze, the town constable, told him: ‘You can’t go backing around Beecher. That’s against the law. Don’t see why you bought one of them newfangle things. They will never be accepted by the people.’

The doctor re-read the instructions and put the chain in correctly… spinning around town at three miles per hour.”


March 17, 1911 – Beecher Herald


Dr. M.R. Miley’s Modern Two-Story Concrete House

One of the Most Beautiful and Substantial in Will County

Dr. Miley's New Home 1911

We print herewith a photographic reproduction of Dr. M. R. Miley’s new residence, which was completed last fall and is now occupied by the doctor and his family.

Dr. Miley Beautiful Residence


The residence, which is one of the most beautiful and substantial in Will County, is situated on the northwest corner of Indiana and Catalpa streets. It is a two-story building. 40×52 feet, has 12 rooms and a basement, besides a generous number of closets, halls, etc. The house is modern in every way, having hot and cold water, bath, furnace heat, individual gas plant and everything essential for convenience and comfort.

On October 31, 1909, the firm of Hoff and Wiggenhouser were ordered to manufacture during the winter enough panel-faced concrete blocks to build a good sized house, the exact number and special forms of blocks to be determined after an architect had drawn up plans and specifications. In February, H.F. Balgemann of Eagle Lake was engaged to draw up the plans and specifications, which were furnished in the later part of May and according to which the present structure was erected. Wm. Osterneier started excavation for the basement on June 15th and Wm. Ohlenkamp and Wm. Ruwaldt dug the necessary drains, cesspool, and ditches for concrete footings. Hoff & Wiggenhauser kept making the different blocks for basement, and up to the water table, the water table itself and the sills and caps for doors and windows, and on July 2nd began to lay the footings and erect the building. Their work and the painting and varnishing proved the most satisfactory of all the work connected with the building.

Dr. Miley's House @ 1909 , Painting at the Beecher Historical Society museum. Artist: Norma ?

Dr. Miley’s House @ 1909 , Painting at the Beecher Historical Society museum. Artist: Norma ?

The carpenter work was done by Henry Hunte, assisted by Herman Siems and his two sons, Albert and Carl Hunte, and was begun August 4th.

The roof was made of Asbestos Century shingles, made by Keasby & Nattison of Ambler, Pa., and so far proved very satisfactory, giving a pleasing effect and making a good roof.

The plastering was done with wood mortar and a hard finish by Fred Lorbach of Peotone and Wm. Warneke. Instead of the laths, Sackett plaster board was used and thus far has proved quite satisfactory.

Emil Koch and Henry Wehmhoefer did the work and supplied the material for the metal required, such as tin gutters, tin decks, cresting, etc.

The plumbing and installing of the hot water heating plant was done by Jirtle & Somes of Chicago Heights. The Plumbing as far as in use, has been satisfactory, but cannot be put to a proper test until the village has installed its water works. The heating plant (Spence hot water heater) has not been properly installed and hence one cannot tell what kind of satisfaction it will ultimately give. The painting and varnishing was done by Chas. Adolph, assisted by his two sons and Charlie Cook, and is of excellent workmanship.

Wm. Schultz did part of the outside painting, but illness kept him from completing it.

The lumber and mill work was secured from Wilke & Ruge, the latter being supplied by True & True Co. of Chicago, and very good material was supplied throughout.

By erecting this fine residence in Beecher, Dr. Miley has shown confidence in the future of our village. He believes that in the course of a few years Beecher will be a suburb of Chicago and that it will be the home of those who desire to get away from the whirl and noise of the city.

The residence is a credit to the village and a most comfortable home for the doctor and his family.

(Editors note: Henry, Carl & Albert Hunte, Emil Koch & Henry Wehmhoefer are also resting in the mausoleum with Dr. Miley and his family)

October 22, 1925 – Beecher Herald


Dr. Miley's house 2015, Photo by Don Sala

Dr. Miley’s house 2015, Photo by Don Sala

While trimming a tree at his residence, Monday afternoon, Dr. M.R. Miley sustained an injury which will probably incapacitate him for some time.

Dr, Miley Injured




He was in the act of cutting a limb from the tree and was coming down from the ladder to change his position, when the limb gave way and knocked him off the ladder to the ground. He was discovered by a passerby laying on the ground unable to get up. He informed the man he had been hurt in the fall and was taken in the house, where Dr. Hiatt was summoned and given first aid, after which he was taken to the hospital at Chicago Heights. At the latter place he was subjected to an X ray examination which showed he had incurred a fractured hip in the fall.

While resting easy at last report, he will be laid up for some time, it is believed, his advanced age being an impediment to an early recovery.

August 6, 1936 – Beecher Herald


The regular monthly meeting of the Village of Beecher was held at the Village Hall, August 3, 1936, at 8 o’clock p.m.

Dr. Miley relected health officerMeeting was called to order by Pres. Batterman.
Roll call.
Trustees present – Guritz, Riechers, Wehling, Klein, Tramm, Wiggenhauser.
Absent – None.
Minutes of the last regular meeting were read and upon motion by Trus. Klein, seconded by Tramm, the same were approved as read, upon the call of the ayes and noes, all voting aye.
The following bills were read:
W. J. Hinze, mdse. $1.02
Beecher Herald, minutes $2.00
Washington Twp., road oil $234.55
Wm. Paul, electric work $20.00
F.H. Ayers Mfg. Co., pump repair $15.32
Worthington Gamon Meter Co., meter repairs $1.26
Public Service co., street lighting $82.26
B.A. Harms, work on water main $55.85
Arthur Hack, mdse. $1.71
L. Steben, street labor $5.43
H. Wehmhoefer, mdse. $11.36
C.W. Tramm, labor $3.00
Emil Koch, Jr. spl. police $10.00
Motion by Wehling, seconded by Riechers, that the Board take a recess to allow finance committee to consider bills and also to compare Clerk’s and Treasurer’s books. Carried.
The finance committee reported verbally in favor of paying the above bills.
Motion by Tramm, seconded by Guritz that said bills be allowed and that warrants be drawn for same. Carried.
Motion by Guritz, seconded by Wiggenhauser, that Clerk’s and Treasurer’s books be certified as being correct, Carried.
Motion by Klein, seconded by Tramm, that Building Committee be given power to act with regard to painting and papering Village Hall. Carried.
Motion by Klein, seconded by Wehling, that Levy Ordinance No. 261 be accepted and adopted, Carried.
Motion by Klein, seconded by Riechers, the Dr. M.R. Miley be appointed Health Commissioner for the fiscal year. Carried.
Motion by Tramm, seconded by Klein, that meeting adjourn, Carried.
Meeting Adjourned.
Arthur Hack – Village Clerk

February 2, 1939 – Beecher Herald


Dr. Michael R. Miley Passes Away Peacefully At Age Of Eighty Years At Residence Here

Served Community For Forty-one Years

Dr. Miley obitOne of the most outstanding citizens of this community peacefully passed into the great beyond, when Dr. Michael R. Miley closed his eyes in death, Sunday morning, at about 8 o’clock, at his home here. Due to advanced age, the doctor had been in failing health for some time, and for about a week before his death, he was unable to take nourishment. The end was imminent when he took to his bed, last Wednesday, and calmly awaited the final summons. He attained the age of 80 years, 2 months and one day. His sorrowing wife and daughters, Misses Alice and Olive were at the bedside. Another daughter, Bernice, (Mrs. A. Anderson), of Idaho was unable to attend the funeral. She visited her father during a recent illness, however, when she submitted to a blood transfusion in order to prolong his life.

The funeral services were conducted. Wednesday, with Rev. G. Horst officiating at the residence. The local Lodge No. 1087 A.F. & A.M., of which he was an active member, was in charge of a service at the Beecher Mausoleum, where the remains were laid at rest.

The deceased was born in Wisconsin, Nov. 28, 1858, the son of Theodore and Anna Maria (Ritter) Miley, natives of Switzerland. Of a family of seven, one sister, Julia Blum, of West Palm Beach, Florida, survives to mourn his passing. He spent his boyhood in Wisconsin and was educated in the public schools there. He later attended Valparaiso University, and in 1896 graduated from Rush Medical College. In the meantime be had taught school for fifteen years in Wisconsin, Iowa and Michigan, and held a life teachers certificate from Wisconsin. He located in Beecher in August 1897, and was united in marriage with Miss Emily Manz, a native of Wisconsin, October 14, 1899. This union was blessed with the three daughters, already mentioned, and a set of twins; Mary and Milton C, who died in infancy.

Woodward Street early 1900

Woodward Street early 1900, Dr. M.R. Miley arrived in Beecher on a bicycle in 1897


As we look over the career of Dr. Michael R. Miley, he may well be termed a philanthropist in local circles. Arriving in Beecher on a bicycle in 1897 is typical of the man with iron nerve, who, it has been said, ‘slept with one eye open’; who thrived upon surmounting obstacles, especially in the early days of his career. As a physician in those early days, Dr. Miley gained the love and respect of this community by untiring efforts to conquer the many handicaps in travel and communication in an effort to best serve the medical requirements of the sick. In order to further his efforts in this direction he installed a private telephone system and built up a practice covering a territory some ten miles in extent, which was a wide expanse in those days. Throughout his long career he maintained his arduous efforts to serve by active practice and persistent study.

While attending closely to the medical requirements of the community, he also found time to serve Beecher in a most auspicious manner in municipal and educational affairs. In 1902 he was elected president of the Village Board, and during his administration the village made more progress than ever before in its history. It was during Dr. Miley’s administration that Beecher built the greater portion of her cement sidewalks, the ordinance against wooden sidewalks being passed at this time. Over a mile of macadam streets were also built during this period.

Many other improvements including the installation of a lighting system were introduced, and he advocated water works and sewer systems. Although he declined re-election at that time he served another term as head of the Board in later years and always maintained an active interest and persistent desire for a better Beecher. He held the office of Justice of the Peace for many years up to the time of his death.

In educational affairs, he served as a director on the school board for thirty-four years, and was clerk at the time of his demise. He was always strongly in favor of a new school building, and gave much of his personal time and effort in not only conducting the affairs of the local district, but also in beautifying the school property. The large grove of trees on the school grounds is a specific example of his great personal interest in the local public schools.

In passing of Dr. Michael R. Miley, Beecher and community mourns a citizen who dedicated his life to the betterment of his community, to whom the community will ever be indebted; who never failed in his efforts to help his fellow man; whose works will ever be a model to stimulate the efforts of future citizens.

His life was not spent in vain. May his reward be great!

Dr. Michael R. Miley’s family members also resting in the mausoleum are:

Wife: Anna E. (Manz) Miley
Daughter: Alice A. Miley
Daughter & Son: Mary E. and Milton C. Miley
Daughter: Olive M. Miley



79 years, 9 months, 7 days


DOB: July 29, 1855
Hohenphiegel, Mecklenburg, Germany

DOD: May 6, 1936
at home, Beecher, IL USA

Son of John Christian Hack and Friederika Sophia (Luth) Hack

Brother to: Herman (Eva Ruge), Charles (Annie Schroeder Schmaedeke), Frank G. (Emma Katz), Emma (Sherman R. Loitz)

Husband of Mary Wiecke (Biefeldt) Hack, married May 1, 1883
Father to: Edmund C. MD (Margaret Schwartz), Albert B. (Marie Deneke) Hack


On May 1, 1883, he was married to Miss Mary Bielfeldt, who in every way proved herself an ideal helpmate. Soon after their marriage the young couple took possession of and successfully operated the well-known Bielfeldt hotel.

Henry Hack Livery Stable 1880



In connection with the Bielfeldt Hotel he was also engaged in farming and in the livery business.


HENRY HACK – Proprietor of the Bielfeldt House Makes Business Hum.

IMG_3669“Nothing adds so much to the reputation of a town as a good hotel. The reputation of a town is due in a large measure to the word of the traveling men who visit the town, and who generally voice their sentiments in regard to the house they stop at.

In respect Beecher is much indebted to the Bielfeldt House. The reputation of Beecher as a good town all along the line is due, in a large measure, to the hospitable treatment received at the hands of the host of the Bielfeldt House, Henry Hack.

 On the first of March this year Mr. Hack celebrated the twentieth year of his connection with the house. He is proprietor also of a large livery with 17 head of horses – the only one in town, and he is also interested in the undertaking business.

Henry Hack is essentially a self-made man. He was born in Germany and came to the United States in 1866. At the age of 28 he was united in marriage to Miss Bielfeldt, a daughter of one of the best known families in the township. It was Miss Bielfeldt’s father, Henning Bielfeldt, who was the founder of the Bielfeldt House 34 years ago. Mr. Hack has two sons, chips off the old block, and inherited their father’s character for hard work.

Mr. Hack has made some very wise investments in land; and though he is now just 50 years of age he is still a young man to all appearances, both an energy and vigor, and he carries his years like a man of 35.

Hard work has not killed Henry Hack. It has made him what he is today. His philosophy has been to look on the bright side of everything. He was always regarded health as the most important blessing and he has lived a clean, healthy life.

In his hotel and livery Mr. Hack has one of the best businesses in the village, always conducted and managed on modern, up-to-date principles. In fact, Henry Hack is the embodiment of a useful citizen, and he well deserves the regard and esteem in which he is held by all who know him.

He assisted in undertaking with Wollenberger, Fred G Hunte and William F. Hinze.



Henry Hack Funeral home ad


In 1912 he established his own funeral parlor under the name Hack & son.

Pat Hack's new auto hearse.1913


1906 Past and Present of Will County (pages 639-640) Henry Hack

Henry Hack, proprietor of the Bielfeldt Hotel of Beecher and also of a well equipped livery barn, was born at Mecklenburg, Germany, July 29, 1855. His father, John Hack, was a native of Mecklenburg, born in 1825. By trade he was a shoemaker and thinking to enjoy better business advantages in the new world he emigrated to the United States in 1864. Here he gave his attention to agricultural pursuits, locating on a farm of eighty acres in Washington Township, Will County, Illinois. For about twelve years he followed farming and in 1876 removed to the village of Beecher, where he engaged in general merchandising in partnership with William Peck. Three years later he sold out and two and a half years conducted a store at Eagle Lake, where he was postmaster for two years. He then returned to Beecher and again engaged in general merchandising, also conducting a market until a few years prior to his death, when he retired. His last days were spent in the enjoyment of a rest which he had truly earned and richly merited. He sustained injuries in a runaway accident in 1879, from which he was a sufferer for many years, but the immediate cause of his death was paralysis and he passed away in Beecher, February 1, 1898. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Sophia Luth, was also born in Mecklenburg, Germany, and is still living in Beecher at the age of seventy-eight years. She holds membership in the German Evangelical Church, to which Mr. Hack also belonged. When they came to the United States they were in very limited financial circumstances and knew well what hard times were. They lived on the prairie in a little board shanty, the wind blowing a gale across the country with nothing to break its force and often sifting the snow through the cracks of the pioneer home. As the years passed, however, all this changed owing to the industry and enterprise of the father and the able assistance which he received from his wife and children. The family numbered eight children, of whom three died in infancy, while five are yet living: Herman, who resides upon the old homestead in Washington Township; Henry: Charles J., who is living retired in Beecher; Frank, who succeeded his father in business and is now conducting a general store; and Emma, the wife of Sherman Loitz of Peotone.

Henry Hack was a youth of nine years when the family came to the United States. He was reared to farm life, being connected with the work of field and meadow until 1885, when he engaged in the hotel and livery business. He has since given his time and energies to these lines with the exception of an interval of sixteen months. He owns forty acres of land adjoining the village, which he farms. He also owns a hotel property, livery barn and a residence in the village, together with residence property in Chicago. The Bielfeldt Hotel is the best in Beecher and Mrs. Hack personally superintends the kitchen, being an excellent cook. Everything possible is done for the comfort and convenience of their guests and the hotel is well patronized. Mr. Hack is also a partner in the undertaking business conducted under the firm name of Fred Hunte & Company.

On the first of May, 1883, occurred the marriage of Mr. Hack and Miss Mary Bielfeldt, who was born in Schleswig-Holstein and is the daughter of Henning Bielfeldt, whose birth also occurred in the same place, August 12, 1817. In 1866 he emigrated to America and for a year he followed the trade of wagonmaking at Thornton, Illinois. He then engaged in farming in Washington Township. When the Chicago & Eastern Illinois Railroad was built in 1870 and the village of Beecher sprang up his farm lay partly within the corporation limits. He built one of the first houses in the village and conducted the hotel for many years. He was one of Beecher’s most prominent business men and engaged in various enterprises which constituted an important element in the development and growth of the little village. He died in 1890, while his wife, who bore the maiden name of Catherine Dethlefs and was born in Germany. September 21, 1821, survived until the 30th of May, 1906. They were the parents of six children: Annie, the wife of Fred Bielfeldt, a resident of South Dakota; Mrs. Hack; Minnie, the wife of M.J. Tillotson, a merchant of Crete; Simon, who died about ten years ago; Henry, who died two years ago; and one who died in infancy. Mr. and Mrs. Hack have two children, Edmund and Albert, both at home.

In Politics Mr. Hack has always been earnest and unfaltering republican and was a trustee of the village when it was incorporated. He served in the capacity for seven consecutive years and later was again elected and acted as trustee for six years. He was also deputy sheriff of the county for eight years and is now filling the office of constable. He and his wife attend the Congregational Church. He is one of the representative business men of Beecher, prominently  connected with various business and public interests, and his labors have been a direct and beneficial influence in promoting the growth and development of the town.


Henry Hack – numbered among the solid and responsible businessmen of Will County, Henry Hack has long been connected with the business life of Beecher. He was born in Germany, July 29, 1855, the son of John and Sophia (Luth) Hack.

John Hack, deceased, was a pioneer settler of Will County. He came to this country early in life and purchased a farm of 160 acres in Will County. Later, he became interested in the meat business at Beecher and also conducted a general mercantile business. He was well known as a dependable merchant in this community. He died in 1908 at the age of 71 years. His wife died in 1918. Both are buried at Beecher. The business, established by Mr. Hack, is now carried on successfully by his grandson, Arthur Hack, and is one of the oldest business houses in the county. To Mr. and Mrs. Hack were born the following children; Herman, died in 1926; Henry, the subject of this sketch; Carl, retired, lives at Hammond, Ind.; Frank, deceased; and Emma, married to Sherman Loitz, lives at Peotone, Ill. Continue reading



Age: 74 years, 11 months, 18 days


DOB: January 13, 1858
Hohenfiecheln, Mecklenburg, Germany

DOD: December 31, 1932
Hammond, IN USA
at home

Son of John Christian and Friederika Sophia (Luth) Hack

Brother to: Herman (Eva Ruge), Henry (Mary Bielfeldt), Frank (Emma Katz), Emma (Sherman R. Loitz) Hack

Husband of Annie Dorothea Schroeder Schmaedeke, married January 18, 1893.

Father of Rose W. Hack (Asa James Dunlap) and an infant daughter who died at birth.


Nearly Meets Death in Collision With Electric Car at Chicago Heights

Daughter Rose Also Badly Injured and Both are Taken to Hospital

Carl Hack Accident 1Carl Hack and daughter, Miss Rose miraculously escaped instant death, Monday morning, when their automobile collided with an interurban car at Twelfth and Halstead streets, Chicago Heights. As it is both are in the Chicago Heights hospital in a precarious condition – Carl with four broken ribs and a bad gash on the forehead, and Miss Rosie with a badly injured back and other bruises.

Charles Hack interurban electric carMr. Hack had been to his tenement house, about a block and a half from where the accident occurred, and was returning west to come to Beecher. The interurban was approaching from the south, but was not seen until it was right upon them. The electric car must have struck the automobile with terrific force as it dragged the machine and occupants 156 feet from the crossing before it was brought to a standstill. The interurban also must have been going at a high speed, as the track at this point is up grade.

Carl Hack Accident 2When the car was stopped, it was found that the automobile was wholly demolished, and it was at first thought that the occupants had been instantly killed. Miss Rosie was first discovered in an unconscious condition, doubled up and blood flowing from her mouth. Mr. Hack was found immediately after, also in an unconscious condition, badly bruised. They were taken to the Chicago Heights hospital, where it was discovered both were very seriously injured, and the Beecher relatives were at once notified and several have been up to see them at the hospital.

Mr. Hack’s injuries include four ribs broken near the spine and one lung badly bruised, and a bad gash above one eye, which had let the eye come out of the socket, but was replaced and sewed up; also other bruises about the body. Miss Hack was badly bruised on the back and kidneys and also has numerous bruises about the body. The condition of both patients is still critical. Mr. Hack’s case is more so from the fact that one lung has been bruised and he is in danger of pneumonia. Reports up to the time of going to press, however, favor both. Mr. Hack was resting much easier yesterday (Thursday) morning, while Miss Rosie partook of a hearty breakfast.

That both are not killed in the accident is nothing less than a miracle. The machine was totally demolished and the occupants being dragged the great distance before the car was stopped, it can hardly seem possible that they could be picked up alive.

The many friends of Mr. and Miss Hack wish them a speedy and complete recovery.

January 5, 1933 – OBITUARY – CHARLES J. HACK

Charles Hack obit 1The departed, Charles J. Hack, was born in Hohenfiecheln, Mecklenburg, Germany, January 13, 1858. In the month of August 1864, his parents, John & Sophie Hack, immigrated to this country, locating in Washington Township, east of Beecher. Here young Charles was given opportunity to  attend St. John’s parochial school, where he also received his religious education and was later confirmed in St. John’s Church by Rev. G. Koch. On January 18, 1893, he was married to miss Anna Schroeder of near Beecher. This ideal union of hearts was blessed with one daughter, Rosie, now Mrs. Asa Dunlap.




This is not Carl Hack, but an example of well drilling at that time

Being an expert well driller, he followed this occupation successfully for more than 20 years. In the fall of 1914 the family left Beecher and moved to Chicago Heights, where but a short time later the husband and daughter were plunged into deep grief and sorrow by the death of a devoted wife and loving mother. While in Chicago Heights both father and daughter were brought to death’s door by a serious accident. However, they both miraculously recovered and when later his daughter, Miss Rosie, entered into holy wedlock with Mr. Asa Dunlap, the father was lovingly accepted into their home. In 1922 he moved with his children to Hammond, Ind., where about two years ago, he underwent a serious operation form which he apparently fully recovered. Some two months ago he began to fail in health and although no alarm was felt at first, it gradually dawned upon his loved ones that his earthly pilgrimage would soon be at an end. Given the best of medical skill and attention and loving care, especially on the part of his daughter, he peacefully closed his eyes in death. Dec. 31, 1932, at 9:30 a.m. at the age of 74 years, 11 months and 18 days.

Charles Hack obit 2He leaves to mourn his daughter and son-in-law, one brother, Henry, Beecher, one sister, Mrs. Emma Loitz, Peotone, one granddaughter and a host of other relatives and friends.

Funeral services were conducted on Tuesday at 12:30 o’clock at his home in Hammond, from where his remains were taken to St. Luke’s Church, where his former pastor G. Horst, spoke in both the German and English language to a large gathering of relatives and friends. Many beautiful floral pieces gave evidence of the general esteem in which Mr. Hack was always held. A niece, Miss Evaline Hack, assistant organist of St. Luke’s functioned at the organ. The following nephews served as pallbearers: Albert Hack, Dr. Edmund Hack, John Hack, Arthur Hack, Irwin Loitz, and Henry Haltenhof. The remains were laid at rest in the Beecher Mausoleum.

Charles Hack obit 3Although absent from our midst for close to 20 years. Mr. Hack was always considered as one of our own and will long be remembered by his many friends here on account of his many sterling qualities. Having been a charter member of St. Luke’s and for many years an elder of said congregation, the welfare of which was always at his heart, St. Luke’s will always respect and honor his memory. To the bereaved daughter and other loved ones to whom his life meant so much, the community extends its heartfelt sympathy, knowing that the God of love and grace will strengthen and comfort them.

While a resident of Beecher, Mr. Hack was often honored with positions of trust, which he capably filled to the fullest satisfaction of the community. For many terms he served on the village board faithfully and loyally and in the same spirit attended to his duties as a citizen of this village.

Charles’ family members also resting in the mausoleum are:
Wife: Anna (Schroeder, Schmaedeke) Hack
Daughter & Son-in-law: Rose W (Hack) Dunlap & Asa James Dunlap
Brother & Sister-in-law: Herman Hack & Eva (Ruge) Hack
Brother & Sister-in-law: Henry Hack & Mary (Bielfeldt) Hack
Nephew & Niece: Arthur J. Hack & Ethel (Wehmhoefer) Hack
Nephew & Niece: Dr. Edmund Hack & Margaretha (Schwarz) Hack
Father & Mother-in-law of Nephew : Henry C. Wehmhoefer & Augusta (Wehling) Wehmhoefer

Other, more distant family include: Bahlman, Batterman, Bergmeier, Beseke, Bielfeldt, Bohl, Cloidt, Engleking,  Fenske, Fick, Freerking, Frobose, Graham, Guritz, Hager, Haltenhof , Heine, Heldt, Hildeman, Hinze, Hoffman, Hoppensteadt, Horn, Hunte, Kaczynski, Kappe, Kilborn,  Kirchhoff,  Klocksieben, Koch, Langreder, Leder, Maass, Matthias, Mc Carty, Meyer, Monk, Niedert, Ohlendorf, Pansa, Peters, Pralle, Riley, Ristenpart, Rohe, Rust, Saller, Selk, Struve, Thielman, Vagt, Von Engeln, Wegert, Wehmhoefer, Wiechen, Wilkening,